Bookmark and Share

Open the online Arabic language course

Open map of EgyptFlag of EgyptEgypt / Cities and Towns /
Arabic: 'asyuwt
Other spellings: Asyut; Asyout; Assyout

Assyut, Egypt.
ZOOM - Open a large version of this image

Find Egypt on the world map

Open street map


Assyut, Egypt.
ZOOM - Open a large version of this image

Assyut, Egypt.
Assyut, Egypt.

The Banana Island off Assyut, Egypt.
Coptic Catholic church in Assyut, Egypt.

Travel information from
LookLex / Egypt
Old quarters
Banana Island
Convent of the Holy Virgin

City in Egypt, with around 400,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate), capital of the Assyut Governorate. The city is situated on the Nile, in the middle of Egypt.
The economic base for Assyut is production of red and black pottery, crafted ivory and wood carvings. In the surrounding areas, dates, sugar cane and cereals are produced.
The University of Assyut was founded in 1957 and is one of the largest universities in Egypt.
Assyut is a junction for the waterways from the Nile, there is a barrage of the Nile nearby, the Assyut Barrage, diverting waters off the Nile to the Ibrahimiyya Canal.
Assyut is the centre of Christian Copts. It has since the 1970's been known for a tense relationship between Christians and Muslims, in which aggression from Islamist group Islamic Societies has been the main security challenge. There is a direct line between Islamists of Assyut, the assassination of President Anwar as-Sadat in 1981 and the first attacks on World Trade Centre, New York, USA in 1993, the massacre of tourists near Hatshepsut's temple in Luxor in 1997, and then on to present-day Al-Qa'ida.

During the era of Ancient Egypt Assyut was known as Zawty. During the Graeco-Roman period, it would be named Lykopolis or Lycopolis. It was the capital of the 13th nome, but of no remarkable importance to these millennia of Egyptian history.
1901: Assyut Barrage opens, providing steady supplies of water to the Ibrahimiyya Canal.
2000 September: Local Christians claim that apparitions of the Virgin Mary appeared over the tower of the Church of St. Mark.

By Tore Kjeilen