Turkey / Cities and Towns /
Town in Turkey with 35,000 inhabitants (2004 estimate), at the end of Gulf of Gökova on the Aegan Sea.
Bodrum harbour with its knight's castle.
Bodrum today is principally a tourist destination, although former activities still exist, like fishing, trade and services for the region.
Bodrum is delightfully located in a bay, with a great knights' castle in its middle. Remains of the very first mausoleum is another attraction in town. The mausoleum was one of the Seven Wonders of the World, as defined in the 3rd and 2nd centuries BCE.
Bodrum has good connections to other parts of the country. Mugla is 100 km east, Izmir 280 km north and Aydin 160 km north. The town has an international airport just north, and is connected to the Greek island of Kos by ferries.
Bodrum has its name from the other name of the castle, Petronium.
11th century BCE: A colony named Halicarnassus is established by the Dorians.
Halicarnassus becomes member of the Dorian Hexapolis, a confederation of independent city states.
6th century: Halicarnassus is expelled from the confederation.
353: The local ruler, Satrap Mausolus, dies. His wife has a great tomb built in his memory. It came to be regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of the world; from it the word 'mausoleum' comes.
334: Halicarnassus is destroyed by the Macedonian army of Alexander the Great.
1402: The Crusader order of the Hospitalers establish themselves here. They build the Castle of St. Peter.
1494: The Mausoleum collapses.
1522: Conquered by the Ottomans.
1970's: Bodrum is lain out to be a tourist resort.