Iran / Cities and Towns /
Persian: bū shehr
City in southwestern Iran with 160,000 inhabitants (2003 estimate), situated on the Persian Gulf, at the northern end of a narrow peninsula connected to the mainland by tidal marshes. It is the capital of the Bushehr Province with 820,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate) and an area of 23,168 km². The full name of the city is Bandar-e Bushehr.
Bushehr has two ports, an outer deeper one, which is exposed, and an inner more shallow one.
The economic base of Bushehr is fishing and commerce. The city functions as the port of Shiraz. A program of the 1970's to build nuclear reactors failed at first, due to the Iran-Iraq War, and, again, later due to lack of international aid. The program was resumed in the 1990's with assistance from Russia. Bushehr's industries include seafood canneries, food-processing plants, and engineering.
Bushehr has an airport, and highways connect the city to Ahvaz 700 km to the northwest and Shiraz 300 km to the northeast. A secondary coastal road links Bushehr to Bandar-e Abbas 800 km to the east.
1734: The small fishing village of Bushehr is made into a naval base by Nadir Shah.
1780's: The British and the Dutch make Bushehr their regional commercial offices, moving from Bandar-e Abbas.
19th century: The British make Bushehr their diplomatic and commercial headquarter for the Persian Gulf. Many other European states establish consulates here as well.
1960's: A development program by the Iranian authorities brings back new life to Bushehr.
1975: Twin nuclear reactors begin to be built.
Early 1980's: Iran-Iraq War destroys the structures of the nuclear plants.
1995: Russia gets involved in the nuclear program, in order to make the plants operational.