Turkey / Cities and Towns /
Town in south central Turkey with 90,000 inhabitants (2004 estimate) near the foot of the Taurus Mountains, at 1,020 metres above sea level. The Eregli mentioned in Contents must not be confused with its namesake on the Black Sea coast.
Today, the local economy is based upon cotton-textile manufacture using cotton produced in Adana plain to the southeast. The traditional economy was linked to the town's central location, near the major northern pass into the Cilician Gates.
Eregli is well connected with other urban centres with rail and road; it lies on the Konya-Ankara railway. Konya lies 200 km west, Adana 150 km southeast and Nigde 130 km east.
The 16th century Great Mosque is the main landmark of Eregli.
Was known as Heraclea Cybistra while it was part of the Byzantine Empire, and served as a border town.
806 CE: Comes briefly under Muslim Arab control.
832: A new conquest by the Arabs.
11th century: Comes under control of the Seljuq Turks.
13th century: Occupied by the Mongols.
1466: Annexed by the Ottoman Empire.