Bookmark and Share



























Open the online Arabic language course






Open map of United Arab EmiratesAlgeria / Cities and Towns /
Sa´da
Arabic: sa¢īda





Open street map

Sa´da

City in northwestern Algeria with 115,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate), south of the Tell Atlas Moutains and north of the Hauts Plateaux, at an elevation of 840 metres.
It is the capital of Sa´da province with 310,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate) and an area of 6,764 km².
Sa´da's economy is based upon agriculture of the surrounding region, where wheat, olives, grapes and esparto grass are the main products. Livestock include goats and sheep, and live sheep and wool are exported. Sa´da also produces a popular mineral water, sold across the country. Among Sa´da's few industries are fine leatherwork.
Sa´da is well-connected with other urban centres by rail and road. An airstrip lies 10 km north of the city. Sidi Bel Abbes is 95 km northwest, Mascara 75 km north, Tiaret 160 km northeast and Oran 175 km northwest.
Sa´da's centre is dominated by French buildings. Low-scale buildings surround this, belonging to the post-colonial period. Sa´da is surrounded by wooded mountains on that rise steeply from the valley floor where the city lies.

History
Sa´da was the site of a Roman fort, controlling the entrance from the Sahara.
1830s: Sa´da becomes the stronghold of Abd al-Qadir in his struggle for Algerian independence.
1844: Sa´da is attacked by the French, and Adbu l-Qadir burns Sa´da when realizing that it cannot be protected.
1854: The French establishes a modern city, serving as a French military outpost.
1862: Sa´da is connected by rail to Oran and Bechar, resulting in fast growth.




By Tore Kjeilen