Egypt / Cities and Towns /
City in Egypt with 550,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate), situated on the shores of Gulf of Suez, to the west of the outlet of the Suez Canal.
Here overlooking the southernmost part of the Suez Canal.
The economic base of the city are industries, like oil refineries and a petrochemical plant, as well as activities along the ports of which there are two, Port Ibrahim and Port Tawfiq. The latter is based on an artificial peninsula.
Suez is also an important port for North African Muslim pilgrims going for hajj or umra in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
3rd century BCE: Suez is known as Klysma.
7th century: With the coming of Islam, the city, now known as Qulzum, becomes an important port for pilgrims going on pilgrimage to Mecca.
16th century: Suez is made into a Turkish naval station.
1859: Construction of the Suez Canal begins, which results in economic progress for Suez.
1967: The Six-Day War flattens Suez.
1973: New destruction on Suez with the Yom Kippur War.
1975: With the reopening of the Suez Canal, restructuring of Suez starts, most of it with prefabricated houses.